I saw that one more group has started using Sotomayor as a political torpedo. The anti-abortion activists. This information comes from the Washington Post this morning.
From the Washington Post: "Outside the Hart Building, Terry and his band brandished posters of aborted fetuses and children's coffins holding dolls covered in stage blood. A demonstrator dressed in a judge's robes carried the sickle of the Grim Reaper. "
Not only that but with a post of my from yesterday I indicated another Post article about Conservatives and Liberals using this process to fight each other...
Sotomayor seems to be less of an appointed official and more of a weopon for every group who needs to get some exposure. "Conservatives, Liberals, abortion activists OH MY!" -is the phrase in my mind.
I know Obama probably didn't intend for that but look how quickly it has happened.
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Interesting point.
ReplyDeleteWe should watch to see how much of the questioning is about the court and its work and how much is really just about staking out political positions.
And I don't think this is unusual in congressional committees....
It was so interesting that one of the four anti-abortion protesters arrested was Norma McCorvey, better known as Jane Roe, the center of the 1973 Roe v. Wade case that legalized abortion. She actually interrupted Senator Al Franken during his opening statement at the hearing to confirm Sotomayor. This situation is so ironic. It is crazy to see what people are trying to make their political comeback at expense of others in this country.
ReplyDeleteIronic, Marcus? I'd even say hypocritical. That the woman who fought to get her right to an abortion, that she brought the case all the way to the Supreme Court and has now changed her opinion is grave hypocrisy.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you Professor, but this time tey don't even seem to try hiding it, it's so obvious.
ReplyDeleteThe irony is all about it.
What I find hard is imagining how her child felt about this growing up.
I guess its hypocritical, but her change of heart is understandable. According to the Washington Post, she was a pro-choice activist for more than 20 years after the case and then was baptised in the mid-1990s and has been pro-life since. Its just surprising sometimes to see how people end up after so many years.
ReplyDelete